Thursday, February 14, 2013

Working Out and My Stress Level

Well, I had a lovely day at work yesterday. I mean, it was a long day, and I had a lot of work to get done. But I accomplished a lot of things that were on my list for the day and got a lot of other work done.

I have been designing a spreadsheet to track all of my workouts, combining the different goals that I have set myself for the year. I am obviously making things subject to change, due to the pregnancy, etc, but I am trying to make myself proud of the different things that I am accomplishing and seeing that I am achieiving things, even though I am not training for any competitions, etc, right this moment. I have been struggling with that a little bit for sure, so I am trying to have a bit more #proof that I am accomplishing things. Its tough, and I am really trying hard to be able to show what I have done.

When I got home from work last night, I was feeling a little bit overwhelmed. I made myself a bargain this morning. I was not going to question my stress. I know that exercise helps relieve my stress, and usually when I am stressed, part of it is high energy. So I decided that I will do something - whether it is going for a walk, running, lifting, doing an exercise DVD, whatever, when I feel stressed. So I pulled out this little KB circuit that I found online yesterday!
It was a tough one. I hardly rested at all. It took 25 minutes to repeat the circuit three times, and the difficulty of it really had my heart rate up HIGH! But I felt stronger for doing it, and that was pleasing to me.

I just need to be aware of boundaries, etc, in order to make sure that I am not pushing myself too hard with the baby. So if I have a tough workout in the morning, and I need another workout because of stress, it needs to be an easy workout - walking, etc... You know? Today was a tough morning workout, and this was a tough workout as well, but today I am feeling really good. And that is why I didn't RUN again, even though I wanted to!

This morning was another run day though, and another day when I got to hang out in my basement with my treadmill. It is amazing to me how much more I am enjoying that thing now that it is easily accessible to me. I flipped on Chopped (recorded on the DVR, a good one to watch when you want around an hour of running) and got going.

I decided early into my warm up that I was going to do fartleks, with my pickups at an 8:34 pace. All pick-ups were done at this pace.
Warm up: 10 minutes
1 minute on, 1 minute off
2 minutes on, 2 minutes off
3 minutes on, 3 minutes off
4 minutes on, 4 minutes off,
3 minutes on, 3 minutes off,
2 minutes on, 2 minutes off,
2 minutes on, 2 minutes off (yes, again),
1 minute on, 1 minute off
Cool down.

6 miles completed in 54:22, which I was extremely pleased with. It was a great run. I got off the treadmill and spent a little bit of time stretching, especially those annoying hamstrings of mine. And then I took to the pole in the basement for a little recovery (yes, that sounds weird. No it was not weird.)
Heels on the pole (I didn't want to mark up the wall!) to let some blood drain through my ProCompression wearing legs to help with some recovery. At least I hope so!

What was your workout today?

No comments:

Post a Comment