Friday, May 24, 2013

Until We Meet Again, Running

Running. It has become my sanity over the last two years and my way to cope with the external forces of the world when I feel as though they might all be collapsing on top of me. Running has allowed me to stabilize my crazy up and down personality in a way that all of my different bipolar meds could not (and eventually allowed me, under the supervision of my doctor, to go off of those meds altogether!) My husband and I were not even really dating much until I took up running. We moved in together right as I was taking up my "run a race every month" goal and as I was weaning off meds, so he hasn't seen me go through a non-running "bad spell."

I am trying to reflect on all of the running awesomeness that I have been through over the last few years. Running is over for me until Addie arrives now, and I am really hoping that once I am cleared to run again, the legs quickly pick up where they left off, that way I can race successfully in Indy and (hopefully!) Vegas in November.

I have repeatedly over the last two years professed my love for running, even when I was burnt out or discouraged because running has always taken good care of me and kept me in check. I would be lying if I told you that I wasn't worried about how the next 12-16 weeks are going to go without it! I am truly terrified. I am not sure how my body will be reacting to no running and no meds at once, but I guess it is time to find out.

Dramatic much? Yes, I know, I absolutely am behaving dramatically. And any of you runners out there who take time off due to injury understand this drama. This is a lot different than running burnout. And NO, I am not calling pregnancy/Addie an injury but a broken elbow is definitely one, and I would prefer not to put myself/Addie through surgery AGAIN, so that means it is time for a break.

I the meantime, let's look at some recent happy running times...
27 weeks - Flying Pig 5K
5 Weeks - Las Vegas RnR Half
4 mile "runch"
Asics Cumulus LOVE
Toledo Run Love

Hopefully this keeps me smiling till I lace up the Cumulus again...

No comments:

Post a Comment