Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The Awesomeness of Ice and Other Tales

One month. One month ago I fell on the concrete and changed the way the remainder of my pregnancy was going to be. Instead of focusing on trying to continue to run (as slow as I may be getting) and staying healthy to grow a little one, I need to focus on staying healthy, PLUS just regain strength and mobility on my strong side so I can at least hold and take care of this little one. Workouts have changed A LOT as stated yesterday, but I am definitely still trying to keep them up, at least a bit!

Yesterday, I got in the 4 miles that I am basically requiring of myself to get to the 20 mile/week goal. I did 3.5 on the treadmill in the morning, and then added another 2 loops around my office at lunchtime to get to the full 4. I always feel like I have accomplished a little bit more by getting in a full hour of workout, versus less than that, especially now that I am not running, so I am not getting as much distance in a given amount of time. So one hour just feels about right to me.

Since I am pretty much obsessed with getting my mobility and strength back to my arm, I am going to follow the directions of my physical therapist (Carmen) to a T! I had my first session yesterday. It was not great. My mobility was QUITE limited, especially in the straightening department (despite all of my work toward getting it to straighten out last week). But I learned my exercises, got my measurements done, and then got iced down for 10 minutes after my arm workout. It was kind of awesome, and I am super proud of myself for working hard at it.

PS - Carmen is the perfect PT for me. She is a runner with a 9 month old baby girl. This means - she gets it.

This morning, I did the exercises on my own for the first time. I am used to doing 3-4 sets of 10-12 reps of exercises. This is 1 set, 15 reps with a 30 second hold in certain positions (like a flexion or extension, using my left arm to hold it). It is a bit painful, and after about 15 seconds my hand usually starts to shake, but I am working hard not to push too hard. Afterward, I took the advice of Carmen and broke out my ice pack for 10 minutes before eating my oatmeal.
It felt pretty awesome, and made me wonder why I have quit icing since those first 5-6 days after surgery. Ice is amazing.

Accomplishments are happening, even though I didn't meet my arm straightening goal.
For instance, see that topknot/pony? I put that in myself. And felt like it looked good enough to wear it to work. My first self-done pony since my injury. In addition, that is my 32 week belly shot.

All righty, elbow update tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment