Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Feeding Update for Miss A

So Addie is now around 3 and a half months old. Nothing is easy about being a new mom, but I am definitely kind of getting the hang of things in order to be a decent mom. I do think that Addie and I are getting there, and J is managing to fit himself in there and be extremely helpful. But there is an aspect that he has not been able to be helpful in, and that is no fault of his own... Feeding.

So, at 3.5 months post birth, Miss Addie is still exclusive fed breastmilk. I cannot say she is exclusively breastfed, since obviously I pump when I am at work and she takes a bottle then. I work pretty hard to stay on top of feeding and pumping. To make sure that I keep up with her and her appetite, I pump probably more than necessary to encourage more production. Not to mention I rented the hospital grade pump to help with that.
It is hard for me to believe that I have been at this for as long as I have already. It is a lot of work.

I definitely struggle with my supply a little. And that is why I have to really be on top of the pumping. It is all that I can do to try and be able to continue to feed miss Addie in the way that I hope to. My goal is to keep this going for at least 6 months. At least now, 3.5 months in, that is my goal. So I pump extra as much as possible to make sure that I have enough to fill the bottles that I need to fill to send her to school. I definitely do not get 4 ounces per pump which stinks. That is what I need to be able to do, but I don't.

As you all know from my Boston recaps, I was very much on top of pumping, as annoying as it might have been to J, while I was out of town. I pumped every 4 hours, even in the middle of the night while we were gone just to ensure that I was not going to lose any supply without being with Addie. 

But I am going to try really hard to keep up with it. I have set myself a goal and I really hope to keep it up. I think I can do this, as long as I continue to wake my rear up in the middle of the night to pump, in order to get the correct number of ounces that I need to feed her.

Any tips out there? Any other nursing moms struggle with their supply like I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment