Saturday, December 14, 2013

Training - An Update

Well, because I am a member of the Oiselle Volee team, every once in a while we are offered an opportunity in the running world because various other team members are looking out for us. Thursday was one of those days.
I received an email from our team captain, Kristin, who was forwarding us an email with some information from another team member, which included a discount to the runcoach website. If you recall, that was one of the options that I was looking at initially, but I ended up nixing it because I did not want to pay for a plan. Once I had the opportunity to receive a discount though, I was sold.

So that same day, I signed up.

This is a very baseline review of the product, as obviously I have not yet started using the plans all that much, I just kind of got things set up in the system so I can see how it falls out. I entered the races in that I have planned for next year (some I am registered for already, some I am not), including my goal race of the Owens Corning Half Marathon at the Glass City Marathon. I also synced it up with my garmin account and my runkeeper account. And I even added my Athlinks username and password so it can pull in my race results.

Right now I have my training paces set up based around previous race results. I have not figured out how to set a goal time for my goal race and have it calculate my training around that (but I tweeted at the company this morning to figure out if I could, and how to do that!) Because I do not know how to do that just yet, I have my training set up around my 5K PR right now, as that will easily achieve me the half marathon race results that I want.
The website allows you to set up the days of the week that you want to be maintenance runs, long runs, speed work and cross training, and then it configures your workouts for you, based on your selected race (my 5K PR from last Thanksgiving). It has running set up for me for a full year (at least, I didn't go beyond that), but right now things are light after the GCM since I do not have a goal race after that. One thing, you can only have one goal race at a time. So I cannot set myself up for a fall goal race right now. Once I get through GCM, then I can make decisions on my Fall goal, and it will retailor my training.

Have you used runcoach? 
Would you? 
What price is too much for you to spend to get a training plan like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment