Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Monday - Speed Day.

Yesterday I was finally back on the speedwork train. I am pretty proud for forcing myself to get out of my comfort zone for the first time in a few weeks and RUN HARD rather than just logging miles like I had been.

Because I do not have access to a track during the day (I have one close by that I can use in the early morning or late evening, but you cannot use it during the school day) and I was running at lunch, I decided that the treadmill was my best bet for speed work. That way I would have all the numbers in front of my face, and I would be able to force myself to run at the speeds that Runcoach prescribed for me (I want to do this because I want to hit my goals!)

I cut the run a little short, simply by doing less of a warm up and cool down since I was trying to squeeze it in over lunch. I figured that was the easiest way to do it. So I headed to my house (which is closer than the gym) to get as much of a run (at least all of the speed pieces) done before heading back to work.

Here was my workout:
Warm up @ 6.3
1 mile @ 7.4
1:30 @ 6.0
800m @ 7.8
2:00 @ 6.0
800m @ 7.8
2:00 @ 6.0
1 mile @ 7.4
1:30 @ 6.0
Cooldown @ 6.3
Over all, I ran 5.25 miles in 45:28. I am definitely pleased with my overall mileage and pace. I was able to hit the targets that were prescribed. It was tough, but speedwork is supposed to be tough, right?

My threshold run this week is scheduled for Thursday, and I have some fartleks on the calendar for that. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment