Monday, January 19, 2015

Saturday Long Run

A weekend and a long run survived. I have to be honest, when I am able to get through the longer ones, I am certainly pleased with myself. Saturday was one of those days.

On Saturdays in the early part of the year, J has to work. It is busy season for him at his job, which reminds me (and probably him too!) of public accounting days when Saturdays in tax season are always extra hours. So obviously, training for a spring marathon is a little bit trickier than a fall one, since my babysitter is working already. And typically, I enjoy running on Saturday since that is when run group is, I definitely find it easier to nail double digits on days when I am running with someone else. But with Karen being out for the spring season due to her trail marathon injury (she tripped on a root and has two fairly serious fractures!), I am a little bit more willing to go it alone.

Saturday I had my first double digit run of this training block, and my first double digit run since Columbus. Admittedly, while I knew I was more than capable of covering the 10 mile distance, especially after 9 on the treadmill just the week before, I was still nervous about the 10 miles.

J's plan was to leave the office around 11, which is right around the time that Addie would be going down for her nap. (We have tried and tried to transition her to being an afternoon napper, and it just is not working. So 11 am it is!) So the plan was for him to text me and say he was on his way home, I would put her down, and then he would be home, so I could head outside for my long run (it was about 45*, way better than the negative temps of the prior weekend where I scrapped my plan for run group and hit the treadmill instead!) When we started to get near the 11 am hour and I had not heard from J yet, I needed to make a decision. Addie was falling asleep on the couch next to me, so I decided to put her down even though I had not heard from him yet.

After Addie is asleep (she went down immediately!), I head into my room and get dressed to run. I am prepped for a half indoor-half outdoor run. I decided to start on the treadmill and then head out for the remainder of the run after J got home. That way I would not be wasting the free time that I had while Addie was asleep. So I put on crops, a shortsleeved shirt, and grabbed my long sleeved for the later part of the run, put on my Brooks Launch (oh, favorite shoes, ever) and headed to the basement with the baby monitor to ensure I was doing my mommy duty.

I set my Netflix to Parenthood, since that is what I have been enjoying on my treadmill days, and started out at 6.8 (8:49 miles) which is my suggested easy/maintenance pace for long runs. But let's be honest, running at one pace on a treadmill is super boring, and I am not going to do that. So each mile, I turned it up one.

I ended up on the treadmill for an hour (and 7.07 miles) before J finally arrived home - "audit emergency" he claimed. So I headed out and did my final three miles on the cart path at the golf course. It was the first time I have ever actually run on the course. It is much hillier than actually running around the course, which is what I usually do, but I still maintained an 8:15 average pace.

So total run was 10.1 miles in EXACTLY 85 minutes for an 8:24 average. Pretty damn good.
And here is a cute baby eating yogurt.
There comes a time when eating that a spoon becomes more of a hindrance than a help. So you should use your other hand in that case.

No comments:

Post a Comment