Thursday, December 10, 2015

Easy 6

Somehow it is mid-December, and as I was texting with a friend last night I realized what a long year I have had, even though it went by in what felt like the blink of an eye. I am not quite ready to write a year in review post yet though, so let's save that one for another day.

Yesterday I had a 6 mile easy paced run on the schedule. I am starting to base build already for the next training cycle, and my biggest goal of December was to not just fall completely off the wagon like I did last year. I ended up last year being about 3 miles short of my annual mileage goal mostly because something happened to my motivation. Even now, I am not sure what happened, although I have a hunch that it had to do with putting pressure on myself to run a marathon again right away. I was already registered for the Glass City full marathon at this point, right after a big PR that I had to fight hard for in Columbus.

So even though I have already gotten through my mileage goal for the year, I wanted to be able to keep at it. And so far, so good. I ended November in the high 80s for the month, and I should crack 100 this month. So, I am likely going to set some bigger goals mileage wise for 2016, although I am not sure exactly what that means yet.

So back to yesterday's easy 6.

I had an easy 6 on the schedule, it was the day after another run, and I felt like I needed it. My easy pace has gotten a little bit quicker over the last 6 months, so when I used to ease into 9s, I know that now I kind of stay more around 8:50s and feel comfortable. Yesterday when I left work at lunch to run my favorite 6 mile route, I felt like I was dragging.
As you can see, I wasn't really dragging, I was just tired. And I ran my easy pace just how I am supposed to. I might need the easy 6 rundies for this day...
What is your go-to easy day distance?

1 comment:

  1. My coach always says that you know you are getting faster when your easy pace goes down, not when your speed work gets faster. Awesome that you have seen so much progress in the last 6 months! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete