Tuesday, January 12, 2016

2016 Goals for the Year

So, now that we are nearly through the month of January, it is probably time to share my goals for 2016. I honestly have had some trouble coming up with goals that are more focused. Meaning I am coming up with things like "figure out how to be happy." While this is a good/important goal, I don't think it is one of those ones that is really measurable. I would have no idea when I actually achieved the goal.

So after some struggles, I think I am finally where I want to be. I think I might have finally come up with a plan that will allow me to have some accomplishments this year that I can actually "check the box" on.

1. Run the year.
I signed up for the Run the Edge challenge this year to run 2016 miles. They do include walking and elliptical miles, so I have a shot. In addition, if nothing else, this will challenge me to run more miles in one year than I have ever before.

2. Travel to someplace new.
This is a rather non-specific goal on purpose. I have not figured out exactly what kind of vacations or racing that I am going to do this year, but I do know I want it to be something different.

3. Read 52 books
Averaging 1 per week. That way I can spend some more time doing things for ME. Plus, I really LIKE to read.

4. Write 200 blog posts. 
This allows me to take Saturday and Sunday off as I typically do, and have a little bit of wiggle room. Lord knows sometimes I drop the ball (like December).

5. Take Addison to Bronners
Bronner's is one of those places that is special to me and the women in my family, and I want to share that with her this year. I do not have any official plans for WHEN to take her yet, but I am thinking that a week in April might involve a trip to Toledo and a trip up there.

6. Work on the development of the team at work
This is one that needs a bit more definition around it, but I had a long talk (seriously, a half hour turned into two hours) with my bosses boss on Wednesday morning (or maybe Tuesday, I honestly cannot remember) and he talked about how everyone on the team really looks up to me, so I SHOULD make extra effort this year to try and help them out more. Take some time to talk to them and help them work through things, even though it means I will be missing out on some things that I probably need to be doing (just keep everyone in the loop on my status). Also he gave me permission to do some lunches to chat and work on plans with them. BOOM.

7. Do one thing for myself EVERY DAY
Whether it is running, coloring, reading, spending 10 minutes with the headspace app, I need something for myself EVERY SINGLE DAY. So far, I have managed to do that.

8. Cook 12 new recipes.
I enjoy cooking. Not as much as J does, but I do like it, and I do hope to learn some new things this year in the kitchen. It can be meals or desserts/baking. I just want to expand what I do and the things I can do for my family.

9. Show my coworkers and team more of "Runner Emily"
This also comes from the two hour conversation with my bosses boss. He mentioned that I get zoned out sometimes and there are only a few people, my friends, who I really relate to and am friendly to. He said that he suspects that "runner Emily" is the real me, and I should show MORE of it to people. I am not sure how to measure this one, but it is definitely a goal for the year, and I definitely want to spend more time with my coworkers and really enjoy myself with them, because whenever we do spend time with each other we have a lot of fun. I think the key to that is going to be planning things in advance rather than someone saying at 5, "let's go get a beer!" so I am going to push that.

10. Figure out certifications
This is one that is REALLY just for me. It is not about a career change, it is just about knowledge and growth for myself, as well as putting some heft besides things that I am asked to do all the time. I am either going to study for the NASM personal training exam OR RRCA running coach. I am not going to change careers. I just want to be able to have some information behind what I am doing, and be able to REALLY help people when they ask for it.

10 goals. And all 10 are going to make me a better person and a better mother. These things will make me stronger and happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment