Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Last week's track day

Last Wednesday, I had a crazy track workout, to the point where I had to get clarification on it from the coach to make sure I understood what I was supposed to be doing. Because it was complicated, I wanted to lay it out here, the prescribed workout and the actual workout, because they differed a little - you will have that when you are running more than 40 laps on the track and you have programmed that all into your watch so you can just zone out.

Planned:
1 mile warm up
4x
        1 mile, 0:45 recovery, in 7:30
        800m, 0:30 recovery, in 3:30 (7:00/mile)
        2x 1:00 stride, 0:30 recovery
        2:00 recovery
1 mile cooldown
Approximate mileage from the coach: 8.5

Now, looking at the approximate miles, I can see that is definitely going to be low. In reality, we are at 8 miles with the warm up, cool down, miles and 800s. So I should have thought that part through, and known that this was going to be a long one. I mean, I did have in my head that it was going to be more than 9 miles, but that was kind of all I had figured out.

So I guess let's take a look at the workout I actually did.
1 mile warm up.
4x 1 mile, 7:13, 7:13, 7:14, 7:19 (all hot)
4x 800m, 3:27, 3:27, 3:24, 3:26 (all hot)
And then the strides are where I screwed up. I did my 2x1:00 and then two minute recovery for all, but after the last one, I apparently had accidently programmed another 2x 1:00 into my watch and then into the cool down. So in reality, I added 3 minutes (less than a half mile) to my run.

So after 11:47 mile, I arrived back at my car, and my watch beeped. I stopped it and realized that I had run for nearly an hour and a half, and I was at a pretty large amount over 11 miles. Schwoops.

No comments:

Post a Comment