Monday, June 6, 2016

Diet Updates

As I am working at getting things set up to go through my next training cycle, where I am really looking for a huge PR in the suburbs of Chicago. I am feeling especially motivated after seeing my “twin runner” run in Cleveland over the weekend.

But one of the things that I really wanted to figure out for this training cycle now that I have figured out the mileage and the core work was nutrition. I had been listening to all of these podcasts that were on plant based runners, or those runners who were fat-adapted, or eat the usual runner diet that is high in carbs. Granted, I am not an RD, nor do I know much about nutrition, other than the fact that I am willing to do some self-experimentation, so I had kind of started talking to a few of my runner friends to see if they had advice, or even better, knew anything about nutritionists around here, etc, that might be willing to work with a runner to help her figure it all out.   
  
And that was when I got an email from Fitfluential with an opportunity to trade a consultation with an RD (Kelli Shallal of Hungry Hobby LLC) for a blog post, I was ALL IN. The timing was perfect, and this was exactly what I was looking for.

I spent some time browsing Kelli’s blog to see what kind of girl she was, looking at her RD offers, her own lifestyle, etc. I tend to look for people that are similar to me because I feel like they are more likely to understand where I am coming from and what it is that I am looking to get out of a relationship like that. Having satisfied my curiosity, I sent her an email.

She responded right away, sent me over some intake forms and the usual HIPPA information, which I filled out, signed and sent back to her right away. I know that I might have overwhelmed her with my enthusiasm (sorry Kelli!) but I was just excited to be afforded the opportunity to do something that was a priority for me. We scheduled our consultation for the following Friday, May 6, after I got back from Sioux Falls.

Kelli and I spoke for about an hour that afternoon. Talking about my running, goals, plans, current diet, etc. She offered a LOT of suggestions, a few of which I implemented immediately (up the protein intake!). Since then, I have consistently had more than 100 grams of protein per day, and most often, more than 120 grams (1 gram per lb of body weight is the goal). The other BIG change I am working on making is having my snacks be protein and fat rather than a carb. And that is more difficult, and it takes a little bit more planning.

As a result, I was glad when she offered lots of snack suggestions. On Sunday, the 15th, as part of my meal prep for the week, I made one of the recipes from her blog, Coconut Almond Banana Bread. And it is SO GOOD. I made two loaves (I had 4 black bananas), and froze the second one. I have been enjoying that for snacks ever since.  (Note, I did not use the toppings that she has on it. I like the flavor of coconut, but not the texture of shredded coconut, so I skipped it.)
I have been working to eat this way for the last month or so. Weekends are very tough, and I have been struggling to stick with the program then. However, 5 days per week I am NAILING it, and hope to continue to make improvements.


Kelli Shallal MPH, RD, owner of Hungry Hobby LLC provides virtual and local one on one nutrition
counseling emphasizing a holistic view point and intuitive eating principles. If you are interested in one on one nutrition counseling check out her nutrition services website at www.hungryhobbyrd.com. In addition she is also the author of Hungry Hobby and healthy living blog with an emphasis on healthy recipes, quick workouts as well as health tips. Follow her on instagram, pinterest and facebook for more healthy living tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment